Mass Withdrawals Rock APC Primary Amidst Alleged Widespread Irregularities
Prof. Obiora Okonkwo, a top aspirant for the ticket of the
All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead Anambra governorship election in November has withdrawn from the primary contest.
Obiora who announced his withdrawal in a Statement issued on Saturday said the project was not worth risking the lives of his supporters and for other reasons.
Recall that Chief Paul Chukwuma and Chief Chukwuma Umeoji had earlier announced their withdrawal from the APC ticket contest citing intimidation and irregularities.
This brings to a total of three, the number of aspirants who will stand for party nomination out of the seven cleared for the exercise.
Obiora described the
decision to withdraw from the race as a difficult but necessary because
of some developments which were inconsistent with his principles and values.
According him, I have decided to withdraw my aspiration for the party’s governorship ticket.
“However, my passion for public service remains strong, and I will continue
contributing to the socio-economic and political development of Anambra State and our country, Nigeria.
“I will also continue to help in ways I can towards the realization of President Bola
Tinubu’s development programmes and the economic growth of our country, for the
good of our countrymen and women,” he said.
Okonkwo appreciated the trust and support his political associates, supporters and
stakeholders in APC had shown me.
He said their support meant
a lot, and thanked them for the opportunity to have connected with so many
committed and passionate Anambra people.
“Above all else, may Anambra succeed for its future generations,” he said.